How To Find The Best New Build Solicitors
Buying a property is an exciting time, and buying a brand new property can be even more exciting! To make sure that everything goes smoothly, you need to choose professional and experienced new build solicitors. Here’s everything you need to know to find the right ones…
What Is Involved In New Build Conveyancing?
New build conveyancing is the term given to the work that is carried out to legally transfer the ownership of a new build property. New build conveyancing is often more complex than other types of conveyancing, and involves:
- Checking that correct planning permission has been obtained, and that the property has been built in accordance with it. Checks will need to be carried out to ensure that roads are properly adopted, and that drains and utilities have been properly established (along with carrying out other local searches which are common to any property purchase).
- Highlighting any restrictive covenants which are in the lease or freehold. This might include inhibiting alterations to the property (this could be as strict as not allowing a satellite dish).
- Establishing whether the property is leasehold or freehold, and what the terms of any lease are (for example, management fees, length of lease).
These points are in addition to the other work which is generally undertaken to transfer ownership of properties.
What To Look For When Choosing New Build Solicitors…
If you are purchasing a new build property, it is often a good idea to opt for a solicitor firm that specialises in new build conveyancing. This is because the work involved tends to be more complex, and solicitors who are skilled with this type of conveyancing are less likely to make mistakes and miss important details.
Here are some places you could find new build solicitors:
- Listen to the property developer or your mortgage advisor. They will often recommend a solicitor for you to use. However, it’s important to do your own research too.
- Word of mouth – if you have a friend or family member who has recently bought a new build property, it is worth seeking recommendations from them. They will tell you whether they were pleased (or not!) with their conveyancer.
- Online. You can search for solicitors near you and find reviews online. It’s also important to check that the solicitor is listed on the Solicitors Regulations Authority (SRA) register here – all solicitors must be listed here in order to legally practice.
Finding New Build Solicitors In The North West
Beeston Shenton’s dedicated new build team work closely with developers and lenders on your behalf, ensuring that the process is as stress-free as possible. We can offer a nationwide service, and we work to ensure that you are in your new home quickly. Contact us today.